I was asked to do an episode of Blogging-Techniques about what is important to me when I read other blogs, what kind of things make me subscribe and sometimes even unsubscribe. So here you go :)
Some of the things that are important to me when reading a blog are things that I personally try to do on my blog, too. Sometimes that works better or worse, but I still try my best.
It often happens that you stumble across a blog that looks pretty promising and nice at first sight. But before I subscribe to a blog, I always look through the whole blog and watch out for a few things.
Here's my list:
- How often do they blog? - I don't want to subscribe to a blog that only has a post up every few weeks. So the latest post should at least be published in the past 7 days or something, and I also look a bit through the blog's history to see that :)
- About what topics do they blog? - if the blog's about like 5 topics, but only one of them interests me, then I'm not sure whether I'll enjoy the blog as much.
- Is there a nice variation of posts? - I like change, and if they blog only about one thing all the time, it's a little hard for me to like the blog.
- Do they have good quality pictures? - If the pictures they use aren't good ones, that's not a blog I'll like. Only cellphone camera pics are just not enough.
- Is the language they use good? - When I read a blog, I really want to find a nicely written text, and not some ghetto-like (sorry for that expression) stuff.
- Do they do honest reviews? - I always compare stuff they talk about, and if they have only bad or only good reviews, it might not be too honest.
- Are they sponsored? - I don't have anything against people who are sponsored and talk about stuff that was provided for them, but if they only talk about things they've gotten for free, I don't like it too much.
- Do they have a personality that seems likable to me? - On a lot of blogs, you can find parts of their personality how they write their posts and about what. And the "About Me" part also helps a lot with this. I don't really subscribe to a blog by someone who doesn't seem likable to me.
That's what I try to look for :) And luckily, most of these things are true with a lot of blogs I discover :)
Have I ever unsubscribed? Yes, I actually have, but only when either the whole blog atmosphere or topic section changed, or when they stopped blogging. It's not nice to unsubscribe, and I don't like to do that, because when you see on your blog that you have less followers than before, that's a negative feeling. But sometimes you just have to do it...
Now, tell me: What is important to you? Have you ever unsubscribed? And what do you want for a future episode of Blogging-Techniques? I'd like to know :)
Until next time,